Friday 10 August 2012

The little things




As most of you know I stopped writing about six weeks ago due to some very difficult circumstances, most of you know anyway what it was about and then a few days ago I had something else happen, something I just never saw coming and it totally blindsided me. After spending the morning crying to Allah and making lots of dua I prayed that instead of focusing on what's happening right now he would make me see the beauty in the small things in life because sometimes that is all we have.

Above is my precious love reading books on my bed with me. He has this obsession at the moment with pop up books and books about a panda called Noodle :) A small thing that brings so much joy to my heart.

Ramadan has been a good time for me to reflect and increase the simplicity in my life and conclude I need to cut way back on my computer time. It's time for me to go back to spending my time in my garden, sewing a new quilt, making bread by hand,walking by the ocean, reading a book with a cup of mint tea, making soap and all the simple things that have always brought me joy. Sometimes we get caught up in another world we begin to forget the things that truly bring us happiness.

A fresh baked chocolate chip cookie, falling asleep to the sound of the rain, the sunshine on my face, the smell of bread baking, my little boy's laughter, a line of diapers blowing in the wind, sitting next to an open fire with a cup of cocoa and halal marshmallows :)

It used to REALLY annoy me (and still does) when people say things like "Just say alhamdulillah and thank Allah for what you have" this is just not helpful. It's like a Dr telling a patient that they need medication but not what kind, how much or what for. Of course you should thank Allah but things are never just that simple. I think when things get too much that you can't think of getting through the next day let alone the next week one of the best things you can do is to focus on the little things you can do that bring you happiness. It forces you to live in the present by enjoying what is right in front of you.

I pray everyone is having a beautiful Ramadan. May Allah bless you all and I hope to catch up on your blogs soon, that is whoever has one left! It seems all my favourite blogs are slowly vanishing one by one! xxx

10 comments:

  1. My sweet Bonnie, it is so nice to read you, thought it seems things are not so peaceful yet on your side.
    Anyway your little one is so cute, I wish one day I can kiss him for real!
    I agree sometime we need to concentrate on the little things and keep doing what bring us Joy.
    I too am spending less time on the ocmputer and I have rediscovered many nice things I used to enjoy a lot.
    I will write you soon dear. Keeping you all in my prayers and sending love.
    Marie
    http://lifeinharmonie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asalamu alaikum,

    JazakAllah Khair for your prayers, may Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) continue to make it easy for you, Aameen.

    Good to see the Cute pic!
    Come have a read of 'Greatness Under Worn-out Garments' you may find it helps you inshAllah

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asalom Alai kom Lil sis

    I REALLLLLLYYYYY have to email you. I understand exactly what you mean by saying Alhomdolelah is not that simple....BUT it is what gets us through....I am in the middle of something at the moment...will explain a bit later I like to say Allah has all power, and it is from and decreed by Allah ....It really helped me.
    En sha Allah sis what is happening will be eased for you.
    MashAllah so happy to hera from you was wondering where you were.....Ok so WILL try and email in next few days en sha Allah
    Love and Salams K xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assalamu alaykum & ramadan mubarak,

    I hope you are ok, and Im sorry youre having a difficult time right now. InshaAllah things will improve for you and your children day by day. Good points in this post- thank you for the reminder.

    Take care sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute little boy mashaAllah. Hang on Bonnie! <3
    Its gonna be alright inshaAllah.

    x
    www.cherryfactor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. assalam, it's been a long time...i don't know what happened to you, but whatever it is, I pray that Allah eases your pains and troubles..
    love and kisses to you and your little darlings..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salaams Bonnie,
    Your little love is adorable. MashaAllah!

    I agree with you, it isn't the same for everyone and sometimes we would like to be able to focus on little things and it sure takes hard work to achieve a level of contentment when things get tough.
    Sending much love and Duas for the rest of Ramadan, wishing you and your loved ones blessings from Allah .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Assalaam Alaikum dear Bonnie!
    Masha'Allah your darling boy is too adorable!
    I haven't been much on the computer this Ramadan, but today I am and was so pleased to see your post - to hear news from you. I pray that things will get better day by day for you dear Bonnie <3 <3 You and your family are continuously in my duaas!
    It made me smile just to read the things that make YOU happy. You're so right about the power of and the importance on focusing on the small things that make us happy. I pray that you will be able to do more and more of what makes you happy.
    I send you all my love and may the last days of this Ramadan be blessed and beautiful for you aswell, ameen.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are posting - I hope things will be easier for you. I understand your comments on people saying 'alhumdulilah' - I guess some people don't know what to say but want to say something. Take Care. Eid Mubarak.

    ReplyDelete