Wednesday 16 May 2012

How my parents took my acceptance of Islam

I get asked all the time by friends and strangers alike how my parents took my becoming a Muslim, they usually ask in a way that makes it sound like I became a mass murderer but there is the occasional genuine person amongst them.

My family was not really the problem actually. My father died when I was eleven and even before that my mother was living with her boyfriend to which she does this day. My mother and I have never had a great relationship and I have not lived ta home since the day I turned sixteen but alhamdulillah Allah has provided so much healing where that relationship is concerned.




I can't really remember ever telling my family I had become Muslim, they just watched me transform from a mini skirt wearing blonde who lived at the gym to this hijabi who spent her life at Arabic classes. They couldn't care less about what religion I followed since they are all atheists themselves, I could have chosen to worship the family goldfish and they wouldn't have even raised their eyebrows. What they did have an issue with was lifestyle actually, my mother would tell me I looked like an old woman now and my sister couldn't understand why I had to end all my male friendships or wouldn't even be around alcohol. My mother used to look at me with disdain in her eyes and think I had been brainwashed. As time goes by it gets easier and easier, my mother will listen to me now talk about Islam and she has even come to the Masjid with me. Alhamdulillah. My sister has come to Islamic events with me. Alhamdulillah. I have had family members tell me that Islam has transformed me into a new and better person. Alhamdulillah.

Now the church I belonged to and my christian friends were a whole other story so i'll leave that for another time ;)

Allah is so good and ever merciful. For other sisters struggling with family members who are not so accepting just remember through time and reflection a lot can change. Just remember to always be kind, always be gentle and Allah will do the rest, don't ever give up hope that Allah can perform miracles because if he can get my mother in a masjid (who proclaims to hate God) than he can do anything.

3 comments:

  1. That's really great to hear Bonnie :) It's really great they they have attended masjid with you and come to Islamic events, they seem really open minded which is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie, all praises to Allah. At the start they were not open minded even a little bit so it's amazing to see how far Allah has brought them.

      Delete
  2. I am always intrigued and filled with wonder by how our new sisters and brothers come into Islam. It shows how much Allah loves you to have shown you the light and opened your heart to Islam. Only a privileged few get His Hidayah.

    I'm happy that your mother and sisters have seen the beauty of Islam through you. You must share more this part of your journey.

    ReplyDelete